Finding accommodation will be one of your first priorities while organising your stay in Normandy. You can start by defining the type of accommodation you are looking for and your budget. Finding accommodation is not always easy, but if you plan ahead, you will find your cosy nest to start your new life.

In order to make the French housing market easier to understand, Euraxess France has published a housing guide for international researchers in mobility, do not hesitate to consult it!

To be on the safe side, you will have to submit a complete file, and landlords will ask you to find a guarantor. A guarantor is a person who guarantees the payment of the rent if you cannot pay it.

If you cannot find a guarantor to support your rental application, do not worry, there are solutions! In particular, you can use VISALE: it is a free tool allowing people aged between 18 and 30 to find a reliable and serious guarantor. To discover other solutions, do not hesitate to contact your Euraxess UNICAEN Service Centre.

Tip: It is often difficult to find permanent accommodation before arriving in France, so we recommend that you book temporary accommodation for the first few weeks of your stay in Normandy.

To facilitate your search for accommodation, UNICAEN has established partnerships:

An agreement has been made with the CROUS Normandie for international researchers to have access to a limited number of studios at the résidence Lébisey.
All the studios are already booked for 2022/2023.

In partnership with Studapart, access local off-campus offers for periods of 1 to 24 months near your campus but also throughout France during your search for internship: studios, flatshares, rooms in private homes … and benefit from a personalized support throughout your rental!
Sign up on unicaen.studapart.com/en

From the rental file to the reservation of the accommodation, all the steps are done online. The rental file is simplified and in 100% digital format. Studapart stands by you during the whole duration of your stay.

  • Exclusive offers to students of Université de Caen Normandie
  • Verified ads and secured payment
  • Simplified rental file & 100% online procedures
  • Subscribe to the Home Insurance by Studapart & enjoy the Benefits Assistance by Studapart to get your state housing allowances (APL/ALS)

You don’t have a guarantor living in France?
Thanks to the Studapart guarantee, Studapart is your guarantor for the whole duration of your rental. To be eligible, all you have to do is submit your ID and proof of admission on the platform.

A multilingual team awaits you at booking@studapart.com

Housing-related procedures

Regardless of the type of accommodation you choose for your stay in Normandy (university room, city rental), you will be required to purchase two compulsory insurance policies:

  • home insurance
  • civil liability coverage

Home insurance covers damage to your home and possessions in the event of fire, flooding or theft, for example.
Civil liability covers the physical and/or psychological damage you could cause to third parties if you were responsible for a fire or flood in your home, for example.

A certificate of a home insurance policy with civil liability will be required when you receive the keys to your accommodation. The CROUS will not accept renters with no home insurance. Failure to submit that document will be grounds for terminating the rental contract.

Most insurance companies provide this service for less than €60 per year.
Some banks offer specific advantages in terms of home insurance coverage when opening a student bank account. Find the home insurance that suits your needs by using online comparators: LesFurets.com | LeLynx.fr

The Caisse d’allocations familiales (CAF) provides various social services, including housing support. As a tenant of housing in France, you can benefit from this housing support under certain conditions. Once you have completed the formalities related to your residence permit in France, you can apply online on the CAF website. Please note that to be eligible for such support, you must have a bank account in France (see the Various procedures).
Download the practical information sheet “Applying for housing assistance”.