Request a visa / student long stay permit

Once you have received your nominative letter of admission (which can be downloaded on your online profile for students following the Études en France procedure), you must apply for a student visa, using your online Études en France profile.

If your country of residence is not connected to the Campus France network, you must then contact the French consular authorities of your country of residence to submit your visa application.

There are two types of student visas:

Long Stay Student Visa valid as residence permit (VLS-TS étudiant)

It allows you to study in France for a period of four months to a year. When it expires, you must apply for a residence permit to stay in France.

It allows to :

  • travel freely in all countries of the Schengen area
  • work 964 hours a year
  • receive housing benefits (VISALE, CAF etc.) and social security
  • extend your stay beyond the validity of your visa by applying for a residence permit at the local administrative centre.

Careful ! Upon your arrival in France, you will have to validate this visa online, on the OFII platform (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration) by paying a €60 fee.

The temporary long-stay visa with “Exemption of residence card” (VLS-T)

This visa makes it possible to study in France for a period of four to twelve months.

It allows you to :

  • travel freely in all Schengen countries
  • benefit from social security during your stay, after enrolment in a higher education institution, and thus get a refund of part of your health expenses

Unlike the VLS-TS, the VLS-T does not have to be validated by the OFII upon your arrival. You have no steps to take during the validity of your visa.

Careful ! The VLS-T does not allow you to:

  • work during your studies,
  • benefit from housing benefits
  • extend your stay beyond the validity period of your visa

IMPORTANT : As a visa cannot be amended once in France, it is important to apply for a visa that matches your projects in France (studies, internship, competition etc.) before your departure.