graduates per year
Welcoming our students and staff into a fulfilling environment, preparing enlightened citizens for the challenges of tomorrow, advancing science and helping to open up new horizons… that’s our ambition!
Choosing the University of Caen Normandy – UNICAEN means: benefiting from a high-quality, rich and innovative work and study environment, being provided with services that suit your needs, being given access to sports, cultural and associative diversity.
UNICAEN is a major player of and a driving force for the development of higher education and research in Normandy. It welcomes more than 29,000 students on several campuses in the Caen conurbation and in the regions of Cherbourg-en-Cotentin, Alençon, Lisieux, Saint-Lô and Vire.
At UNICAEN, treat yourself to all of the Normandy region’s advantages such as the coastline, proximity to the United Kingdom, a fast and easy access to Paris and cultural & attractive sporting activities. The Region also has a strong cultural tradition that is illustrated both by major international events (celebrations of the Normandy Landing of the Second World War, international equestrian competitions, the Grande Armada,…) and by the diversity of its heritage (Mont Saint Michel – 8th wonder of the world, Château de Caen, the Memorial for Peace, impressionist painting,…).
A historical monument
Founded in 1432 by the King of England Henry VI, the University of Caen was destroyed in 1944 during the Battle of Normandy. It was among the first buildings to be rebuilt during the city reconstruction after World War II.
The reconstruction of the University started in 1948 under the authority of Rector Pierre Daure and the new campus was inaugurated in 1957 in the presence of the Minister of Education and other personalities from all over the world. He called on the services of architect Henry Bernard to give the new campus the modern aspect of Anglo-Saxon campuses.
After the war, the University rose like a Phoenix from its ashes.
Redesigned with such a futuristic vision, the University became one of the most modern university in Europe. In 2012, part of its buildings were thus classified as historical monuments.
A strong and strategic territorial anchorage
- UNICAEN, epicentre of the regional plan for higher education and research
- Exchange and cooperation with local socio-economic stakeholders
6 campuses in Caen and 5 campuses in region (Cherbourg, Saint-Lô, Lisieux, Vire, Alençon).
- Cooperation with ENSICAEN (National School of Engineering); CYCERON (biomedical imaging platform), GANIL (National Large Heavy Ion Accelerator), CHU (University Hospital), CLCC François Baclesse (Regional Cancer Care Centre)
- A strengthened partnership with the University Hospital (CHU)
- A modern unit for health research and academic training
- Local entities involved in academic training, research and culture The evolution of staff capacity and the development of research units led to the construction of other campuses in Caen and of 6 distant sites across the region.
Normandie Université, the Normandy community of higher education institutions, brings together the universities of Caen, Le Havre and Rouen, ENSA Rouen Normandie (National Higher School of Architecture), ENSICAEN and INSA Rouen Normandie (National Schools of engineering) around a common objective: offering the highest level of excellency in research and Academic training.