Home > Local life > Working in France

Working in France



The authorisation to work during your studies is linked to your status with regard to your right of residence.
Failure to comply with the legislation may result in the withdrawal of your residence permit.
  • Students from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland 
    Occasional work (in addition to studies) within the limit of 964 hours per year ( = 60% of the legal annual working time).
    No work permit is required.
    For more information: service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F13519
  • Students with a long-stay “student” visa (VLS-TS) validated online or a "student" residence permit/récépissé
    Occasional work (in addition to studies) within the limit of 964 hours per year ( = 60% of the legal annual working time).
    No work permit is required.
    A declaration of employment must be established by the employer at least two working days before the effective date of employment. 
    Please note that the student residence permit does not allow you to work as a a self-entrepreneur / micro-entrepreneur.
    For more information: service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2713
  • Algerian students with an algerian residence certificate
    Occasional work (in addition to studies) within the limit of 50% of the annual working time practised in the branch or profession concerned.
    A provisional work permit (APT) is to be requested by the employee to the territorial unit of the relevant Direccte (Directions régionales des entreprises, de la concurrence, de la consommation, du travail et de l'emploi), before beginning to work.
    DIRECCTE Normandy: normandie.direccte.gouv.fr/Coordonnees-et-horaires-de-nos-services
    For more information: service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2713
  • Students with a  visa “Mineur scolarisé” : You are not allowed to work.
  • Students with a short stay visa
    You are not allowed to work, except in exceptional situations (ask the Direccte for information)

Looking for a job: a few tips

  • CV, cover letter and job interview
To find a job, you can submit a prospective application or respond to specific offers.
In both cases, you will be asked to provide a CV (Curriculum Vitae) as well as a cover letter meeting the French expectations. Your CV must be updated and your cover letter should be adapted to the specific job you are targeting.  
If your application is pre-selected, you will most likely be contacted to make an appointment for an interview. This interview will allow the employer to get to know you better and to confirm or not to confirm the hiring.
Find good advice from the CRIJ Normandie (Regional Youth Information Centre) for a successful CV, cover letter and job interview: https://bit.ly/34E8tjk

  • Advertising sites
As your job must be occasional, as the regulations require, it must not interfere with your studies. Every year Unicaen and the Crous Normandie offer students job offers which are compatible with the academic calendar.
Job offers on the UNICAEN Career Center platform  : https://www.unicaen.fr/formation/stage-emploi-alternance/
Offers on the Pôle Emploi and CRIJ Normandie websites:
Beware of Internet scams! Every year, some unethical people exploit the ignorance of young students: you should never agree to pay a sum of money to get a job. This practice, which is illegal in France, is a scam.
  • Remuneration
Most students receive a salary based on the minimum wage, called SMIC, i.e. €10.15 gross per hour (as of 1 January 2020), which, after deduction of compulsory social contributions, amounts to a net income of €8.03 net per hour.
  • Essential documents
The employment contract
The remuneration statement (called « bulletin de salaire » or « fiche de paie » in France)

The study internship

Many training courses include compulsory internships (6 months maximum).
These internships do not constitute a real job:
- the work placement must be the subject of a tripartite agreement between the host organisation, the higher educational institution and the student. 
- it is not necessary to apply for a work permit.
- it cannot be included as part of the 964 working hours allowed for international students.
More information on the legal terms of the work placement/internship: service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F16734
If the work placement lasts more than two consecutive months (i.e. the equivalent of 44 days, 7 hours per day), the company or traineeship organisation must pay the student a bonus of €3,90 per hour (1st January 2020).
More information on the bonus system: service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F32131

After graduation

At the end of their studies, many international students wish to stay and work in France.
There are different possibilities depending on your status:
  • You are a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA)
    You can stay in France as long as you wish, whether you are employed or looking for work.
  • You are an international student (from outside Europe)
    After 2 years post-secondary studies and up to the Master’s degree (or equivalent), the permission to remain on the French territory depends on the level of the Degree you have achieved as well as on your professional project. 
    In most cases, you will need to apply for a residence permit for employees or temporary workers if you have signed an employment contract (or a binding offer of work) within 2 months before the expiry date of your student residence permit.
    The students who have completed a master's degree or a professional licence can also apply for a non-renewable 12-month provisional residence permit (APS) (when the student residence permit expires) to look for a job or start up their own business.

For more information, visit the very complete website of the Interior Ministry: https://bit.ly/3ch1Iqe

Download page

Last update : June 18, 2021

Université de Caen Normandie
Esplanade de la Paix | CS 14032 | 14032 CAEN cedex 5