Home > Local life > Housing > Housing insurances

Housing insurances


No matter the type of accommodation you will choose to study in France, you wil have to subscribe to two mandatory insurance policies:

  • the housing insurance
  • the third-party liability

The housing insurance covers damages made to your habitation and goods, in case for instance of a fire, water damages or robbery.

The Third-party liability covers physical and/or psychological injuries you may cause to a third person should you be held responsible, for instance, of a fire or water damage in your place of residence.

A proof of housing insurance with third-party liability will be required when siging your rental agreement. Failure to present such document is a reason for termination of your lease.

Most insurance companies provide housing insurance with third-party liability coverage for approximately €60 per year
Some banks offer special insurance benefits when opening a student bank account.

Download page

Last update : June 21, 2019

Université de Caen Normandie
Esplanade de la Paix | CS 14032 | 14032 CAEN cedex 5