Home > About us > Since 1432


Since 1432



A historical monument

Founded in 1432 by the King of England Henry VI, the University of Caen was destroyed in 1944 during the Battle of Normandy. It was among the first buildings to be rebuilt during the city reconstruction after World War II.
The reconstruction of the University started in 1948 under the authority of Rector Pierre Daure and the new campus was inaugurated in 1957 in the presence of the Minister of Education and other personalities from all over the world. He called on the services of architect Henry Bernard to give the new campus the modern aspect of Anglo-Saxon campuses.

After the war, the University rose like a Phoenix from its ashes.

Redesigned with such a futuristic vision, the University became one of the most modern university in Europe. In 2012, part of its buildings were thus classified as historical monuments.

Download page

Last update : May 23, 2019



UNICAEN
Université de Caen Normandie
Esplanade de la Paix | CS 14032 | 14032 CAEN cedex 5
FRANCE